zondag 24 november 2013

Gravity

Gravity (2013). Directedy by Alfonso Cuarón.
Another film review?!? I know, I know. But I just couldn't not write about the brilliance that is Gravity (2013). There are still a few more films coming out this year, but so far I'd have to say that this is the film of the year for me. It actually gave me goosebumps. Goosebumps, I tell you! I was at the edge of my seat for the entire film, clutching my teacup, and spent most of the film trying to hold back my tears. It was such an emotional rollercoaster, but in a very good way. It's like Aritstotle said, drama purges the soul (or something along those lines...), and whilst I was close to breaking down during the film, I felt ecstatic afterwards. (Anyone know that feeling, or do I need to reign in my emotions) Seriously, you need to see this film.


For such an emotional rollercoaster, there is actually very little plot to tell you about. Dr. Ryan Stone (Sandra Bullock, such a brilliant performance) is up in space, when debrise of another satellite hits her space station and she ends up floating through space, trying to get back to safety. Whilst that sounds very intense (which it is), the pacing of the film is relatively slow and the action is balanced out with calm and serene scenes. The serenity of the film mainly comes from the beautiful images of space and the earth from space on screen. It's like a little silent and calm moment when you look down on big old earth. These moments of serenity, but also those of action, are supported brilliantly by the wonderful music. The music in this film is so effective! As we all know, sound doesn't travel in space, so apart from talking, there is little of it. But because the music is used in such an amazing way, it doesn't matter that there are no other sounds and it just puts you right in the moment.

As said, Sandra Bullock gave an amazing performance. I think she's mainly known for her more comedic roles (Miss Congeniality is still one of my all time favourite films), but I wouldn't be surprised if she won her second Oscar for this film. That's how good she is! She carries the majority of the film, and does it extremely well. George Clooney, who has more of a supportive role, also steals the show and that man is just brilliant. His wit provides some of the lighter moments of laughter throughout the film. Because they are floating in space, the acting is kept rather small. With that I mean that there are no big gestures, they don't act with their bodies, but all the emotion has to come through facial expressions and intonation.

This film is absolutely overwhelming and all props go to director Alfonso Cuarón. This film captivates you from beginning to end and takes you through all the emotions there are. Besides that, it looks stunning. I know it's all CGI, but damn, it looks realistic! This is one of this film which you need to see in the cinema, in IMAX if possible. I normally don't care too much about 3D and all that, so I didn't see this one in IMAX, but this is the first time after seeing a film I wished I'd seen it in IMAX. I came out of this film completely fulfilled and like I said, I don't think there is going to be a better film this year. I'm just ecstatic about it! Though I have to admit, at the end of the film, I couldn't help but think how it's possible for one person to have so much bad luck. Unbelievable!

Ratings: 5 out of 5.

Have you seen Gravity? And loved it as much as I have? What is you're favourite film of 2013 so far?

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten